Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Kicking Colds, Flu and Sinus Infections

I'm prone to sinus infections. I live in the Midwest, and the weather here will almost always give me at least one of those damn things a year. I hate them and have developed a method that kicks a sinus infection's ASS. I do this every time I get one, and by the next day, I may look tired, but I'm not sick. The pain in my sinuses is gone, and I don't have to be miserable at work or confined to my couch. The following steps also work for colds or the flu, although with the flu, your symptoms may last a little longer. I usually kick that within 48 hours though.

First, you have to keep your nutrition up to fight the damn thing. You may not feel like eating, may not be able to taste anything, but the nutrition part must be done. NOOOOO DAIRY PRODUCTS ALLOWED. Dairy produces more mucus, let's not keep fighting the same fight, okay? No effing dairy until you've kicked this mother. You don't have to sit down to a feast and there's the whole "don't feed a fever" thing, but how else are you going to support your immune system. It's got to have something to work with.

Two, hot fresh-squeezed lemonade -- it's crucial. Fresh lemons have more Vitamin C than oranges. A Vitamin C tablet just won't do. Get the good stuff. Use honey or agave nectar, whatever. Skip the white refined sugar, we're trying to get your immune system energized. TWO CUPS of fresh hot lemonade, spaced out, say 6 hours apart or so. To really KICK up the remedy, sprinkle cayenne or chili powder on top of the beverage and be prepared to use a lot of tissues. This will open up your sinuses so they drain.

Three, VICKS or any type of vaporub -- just a small dab on your finger, placed at the base of each nostril. WASH YOUR HANDS after applying it, don't make a mistake I've made and forget and then rub your eye or something. You'll howl!

Four, if your throat is sore, take a tablespoon of honey or REAL maple syrup. Don't wash it down with anything, just eat it. Repeat as necessary to soothe the throat.

Five, whatever you can eat, throw garlic into it. Lots. Garlic is a natural germ killer/disinfectant.

Six, if you're coughing, use the vaporub on your chest.... read the label, it's a cough suppressant. Put the vaporub on your feet and put socks on -- yes, it really works.

Lastly, a shot or two of warm brandy or whiskey before bed -- but ONLY for adults. This is not a kid or teen remedy. Go to bed, put socks on your feet, get under the covers. Be prepared to sweat.

This isn't so much a remedy for colds, flu or sinus infections as it is an assault. If you do all of these things, you'll kick it faster and won't have to rebuild your immune system after taking a round of antibiotics. You'll actually support your immune system and get it to kick the offending germs itself.

As with any advice, I'm not a medical doctor, I'm a nurse who is simply repeating remedies that have worked for me and my family for years. If any of the above contradicts advice given to you by your physician, or if you're unsure of medication interactions and contraindications, check with your doctor before following any of the above steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment